Sunday, May 5, 2013

The State of My Home #1

I figure that if I make an honest assessment of my home on a regular basis I'll be able to keep track of and celebrate changes and improvements as well as identify areas where I'm starting to slip.  For now I'll be reviewing the state of my home on a weekly basis and make goals I can work on in short intervals.  Hopefully later I'll be able to spread them out more.

And so begins my first assessment.

My Home
I'm the master of piles; they are everywhere in my home.  I take after my dad in this way, but they have to go.  I need to learn to pick up after myself and teach my kids to do the same.  I'd like to be able to stop scolding the kids for getting into things that shouldn't be out for them to get into in the first place.  Mastering the clutter and finding everything a home is going to take time.  Getting out of the habit of making piles of things to put away later and getting into the habit of keeping things put away will take time.  Having the clutter makes it difficult to clean, that's just all there is to it.  There's not much point in listing the rooms in my home separately because this applies to them all.

My kitchen is in better shape right now than it has been historically because I'm making a consistent effort to keep up with the dishes every day.  There is still plenty of clutter.  I'm not sure when the floor was last washed.

The upstairs bathrooms haven't been cleaned since two days before my baby was born.  That was six and a half weeks ago.  The downstairs bathroom hasn't been cleaned since who knows when.

I've been doing pretty well with laundry lately, and have been making an effort to get it folded and put away before the kids decide to make piles out of the clean clothes to play in.  Since I'm washing cloth diapers for two kids every two days and my oldest daughter's sheets nearly daily, I'm doing lots of loads of laundry.  Getting the laundry put away has been one of my big struggles for a long time.

The kids rooms are a mess.

Goals
  • Keep up with the dishes
  • Get laundry folded and put away in a timely manner
  • Get the dress for my baby's baptism finished and put away everything that's currently in my kitchen for the project
  • Get the top of the top of the piano cleared off so my middle child can stop climbing up the piano to investigate what's up there
I know it's not much, but it's a start and it may take me most of the week just to finish the dress.  The first two will go a long way to keep the main areas of my home manageable so I can start working on the clutter.  When I let them slip there's no hope for anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment