Monday, May 20, 2013

School's IN For Summer

My oldest daughter and I finished Hands On Homeschooling's 3-year-old curriculum last week.  We crashed and burned last year with the 2-year-old curriculum because I expected too much from a not-very-verbal newly 2-year-old and I was skipping the activities I thought would be too much trouble.  But it's the hands-on activities that my daughter loves:  the paint, cooking, etc.  So, I committed to doing as many of the hands-on activities as possible this year and we had a great year.  I do best with everything laid out for me and my daughter and I both thrive with the bit of routine it brings to our lives.  I'm so glad I gave the curriculum another chance.

She likes it so much that she wouldn't take me up on my suggestion to take a break from "school" for a week or two.  So, we're jumping right into our summer program.

I didn't want to buy anything for the summer and knew I had plenty of resources I wasn't using much, so I decided to put together my own plan for the summer.  I used the weekly grid from the Hands On Homeschooling, selected a weekly Bible story and a book selection from Before Five in a Row.  We're using some of the discussion topics from B4FIAR along with some coordinating printable materials from Homeschool Creations and Homeschool Share.  I also added in some of the activity suggestions provided for the preschool package by My Father's World.  Finally, my husband expressed a desire for our daughter to learn the ten commandments this summer, so we're doing that in place of memory verses.  I'm pretty confident that my daughter is going to really enjoy the activities and we'll have a great summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment